Do you wish to buy How We Decide [Kindle Edition]? You come to the right place. You can receive exclusive price cut for How We Decide [Kindle Edition]. You can decide to buy a product and How We Decide [Kindle Edition] at the best price online with secure transaction here...

Read much more details
Product Description
The first book to work with the unexpected discoveries of neuroscience to assist us result in the best decisions.
Since Plato, philosophers have described the decision-making process as either rational or emotional: we carefully deliberate, or we blink and go with this gut. But as scientists break open the mind's black box with all the latest tools of neuroscience, they re finding that this is not what sort of mind works. Our best decisions really are a finely tuned mixture of both feeling and reason along with the precise mix depends for the situation. When buying a house, for example, it's best to permit our unconscious mull over the many variables. However, if we're picking a stock, intuition often leads us astray. The key is to determine when to work with different parts with the brain, and to perform this, we should think harder (and smarter) about how we think.
Jonah Lehrer arms us with all the tools we need, drawing on cutting-edge research at exactly the same time since the real-world experiences of an wide variety of deciders from airplane pilots and hedge fund investors to serial killers and poker players. Lehrer shows how people are taking advantage from the new science to create better television shows, win more football games, and improve military intelligence. His goal is always to answer two questions which are of curiosity to merely about anyone, from CEOs to firefighters: How can the human mind make decisions? And how will we make those decisions better?
A Q&A with Jonah Lehrer, Author of how We Decide
Q: Why did you need to write a magazine about decision-making?
A: Everything began with Cheerios. I'm a remarkably indecisive person. There I was, aimlessly wandering the cereal aisle in the supermarket, looking to choose involving the apple-cinnamon and honey-nut varieties. It was an embarrassing waste of energy yet it happened in my experience all of the time. Eventually, I chose that enough was enough: I needed to comprehend that which was happening inside my brain because i contemplated my breakfast options. I soon realized, of course, that new science of selection had implications far grander than Cheerios.
Q: What are some of those implications?
A: Life is ultimately simply a series of decisions, through the mundane (what must i eat for breakfast?) to the profound (what should I actually do with my life?). Until recently, though, we didn't have idea how our brain actually made these decisions. As a result, we used untested assumptions, such as the assumption that people were rational creatures. (This assumption goes completely to Plato as well as the ancient Greeks.) But now, to the very first time in human history, we can look within our mind and observe how we actually think. It turns out that we weren't designed being rational or logical and even particularly deliberate. Instead, our mind holds an untidy network of different areas, many that are involved with the manufacture of emotion. If we come on top of a decision, the brain is awash in feeling, driven by its inexplicable passions. Even when we try to become reasonable and restrained, these emotional impulses secretly influence our judgment. Of course, by understanding how the human mind makes decisions--and by learning about the decision-making mistakes that we're all vulnerable to--we can learn to make better decisions.
Q: Can neuroscience really teach us how to make better decisions?
A: My answer can be a qualified yes. Despite the claims of many self-help books, there's no secret recipe for decision-making, no single strategy that can work in every situation. The real-world is too complex. The thought processes that excels inside the supermarket won't pass muster inside Oval Office. Therefore natural selection endowed us with a brain that's enthusiastically pluralist. Sometimes we must reason through our options and thoroughly analyze the possibilities. And sometimes we must pay attention to our emotions and gut instinct. The secret, of course, is knowing when to work with variations of thought--when to trust feelings and when to exercise reason. In my book, I devoted a chapter to looking with the world through the prism in the bet on poker determined that, in poker like life, two broad types of decisions exist: math problems and mysteries. The very first the answer to making the proper decision, then, is accurately diagnosing the problem and figuring out which brain system to rely on. Should we trust our intuition or calculate the probabilities? We always need being considering how we think.
Q: Are you currently a great poker player?
A: Once I was in Vegas, hanging by helping cover their a few of best poker players inside the world, I convinced myself that I'd absorbed the tricks from the trade, that I can use their advice to win some money. And so i went with a low-stakes table in the Rio, put $300 about the line, and waited for your chips to accumulate. Instead, I lost my money in less than an hour. It was an expensive but valuable lesson: there's a large distinction between understanding how experts think and being in a situation to think as an expert.
Q: Why write this book now?
A: Neuroscience can seem abstract, a science preoccupied with questions in regards to the cellular specifics of perception as well as the memory of fruit flies. In recent years, however, the area has been invaded by some practical thinkers. These scientists need to utilize the nifty experimental tools of contemporary neuroscience to explore some in the mysteries each day life. How should we pick a cereal? What areas with the brain are triggered in the shopping mall? Why do smart people accumulate bank card debt and take out subprime mortgages? How can you make utilization of the brain to describe financial bubbles? For the first time, these incredibly relevant questions have rigorously scientific answers. All of it goes returning to that classical Greek aphorism: Know thyself. I'd argue how the discoveries of modern neuroscience allow us to understand ourselves (and our decisions!) in a entirely new way.
Q: The Way We Decide draws in the latest research in neuroscience yet also analyzes some crucial moments inside the lives of an variety of "deciders," in the football star Tom Brady with a soap opera director. Why did you're taking this approach?
A: Herbert Simon, the Nobel Prize-winning psychologist, famously compared our mind to some couple of scissors. One blade, he said, represented the brain. The other blade was the particular environment where our brain was operating. If you wish to view the purpose of scissors, Simon said, then you might have to appear at both blades simultaneously. Some Tips I desired to do in The Way You Decide was head out from the lab and into the real world so that I possibly could see the scissors at work. I talk about some ingenious experiments on this book, but let's face it: the science lab can be a startlingly artificial place. And so, wherever possible, I tried to explore these scientific theories inside the context each day life. As opposed to just currently talking about hyperbolic discounting and also the feebleness with the prefrontal cortex, I spent time having a debt counselor in the Bronx. when I became interested inside the anatomy of insight (where do our plans come from?) I interviewed an airplane pilot whose epiphany inside the cockpit saved a huge selection of lives. That's when you really commence to appreciate the power with this new science--when it is possible to use its suggestions to explain all sorts of important phenomena, including the risky behavior of teenagers, the amorality of psychopaths, along with the tendency of some athletes to choke under pressure.
Q: What do one does inside the cereal aisle now?
A: I became about halfway through writing the book once i got great advice from your scientist. I had been telling him about my Cheerios dilemma when he abruptly interrupted me: "The secret to happiness," he said,"is not wasting time on irrelevant decisions." Of course, this sage advice didn't assist me to figure out what form of cereal I actually wished to eat for breakfast. So I did the one logical thing: I purchased my three favorite Cheerios varieties and combined every certainly one of them during my cereal bowl. Problem solved.
(Photo © Nina Subin, 2008)
“As Lehrer describes in fluid prose, the brain’s reasoning centers are easily fooled, often making judgments depending on nonrational factors like presentation (a sales page or packaging)...Lehrer is really a delight to read, which is really a fascinating book (some which appeared recently, in a slightly different form, in the New Yorker) that will help everyone better understand themselves as well as their decision making.” —Publisher's Weekly, starred review

gloria jeans coffee butter toffee k cup Grocery Gourmet Food
0Awesome Comments!